photos by owen on 2022-Jun-14.
I avoid editing as much as possible. Before heading out I usually choose whether I will shot in B&W or colour - some days are colour days, others are bw. I rarely switch while I am shooting. If I take a picture in black+whiite it usually stays that way forever. I have started to crop alot to get rid of details at the edge or make a photo vertical. Besides that I bulk auto contrast or brighten all the photos in Picasa.
The general process;
- I shoot pictures until my 32gb SD card is almost full. Usually takes a month depending. If I am going to an event I clear my card or fall to the slower 64gb card.
- Once full I remove SD card from camera, put it into a SD card reader, stick it into computer. I can connect a USB cable to the camera directly be the port cover seems very fragile. I do not want to lose that rubber cover.
- Make sure the My Pictures folder is empty.
- I Use the windows import tool to download all the new pictures from SD card into my pictures folder. (open as portable device).
- Wait, depending on the speed of the card and the USB nterface.
- Backup folders in My Pictures to external hard drive.
- Bulk auto contrast photos in Picasa.
- Spend the next 4-5 weeks organising the photos into folders, groups sets, picking some to print etc. Posting random shots on social media and this website.
- After a set has been posted I move them to a "used" folder
- Delete used folder (because I made backups earlier in this process).
You will notice that I backup, then edit because sometimes it can take weeks to go through all the pictures and I might forget to backup. So to avoid that lag time I just backup the unedited pictures right away. I dont really need to save the edited versions because I do minimal edits. If you edit alot then you know what you need to do.