written by owen on 2020-Sep-18.
Dust is something to worry about so from the first time I saw a video of the JJC Auto Lens Cap I knew I had to test it out. Bought it on Amazon and after using it for 3 weeks I can safely say it kinda works and yet it kinda fails. I give it a 5 out of 10. Not for everyone.
- It works as advertised. Fits secure onto the camera and does not fall off.
- Lightweight plastic, much lighter than the metal lens cap.
- When closed the lens cap is perfectly flush with the bottom of the camera. This allows the camera to stand perfectly upright.
- It is slightly thicker than a normal lens cap which means I could no longer slip the camera into my jeans pocket. :(
- Pointy edges
- The sharp plastic edges on the back of the doors make 3 slight scratches on the edge of the stick-on UV filter.
- There is a tiny gap between each door which means that the cap is not 100% dust proof. Unavoidable but I had to note it.
- When the doors are open it makes the front of the camera more visible because of the shape that the doors create.
So in the end, the auto lens cap did not work out for me. Main reason is because I like to put the camera in my pocket. I reverted to my old JJC mental lens cap. Despite the inconvenience the normal lens cap does a better job of keeping the camera pocket-able and dust free while on the road and air tight while the camera is at rest (in a pockets, drawer etc). The auto lens cap is fancy but slightly too big to be useful. Final review score 5/10. It works but its not perfect.
You can see the sharp plastic guide edges
You can faintly see the edge scratch in the glass
Auto lens cap has a smaller diameter because it screws onto the camera itself.